NEW FUNDING OPPORTUNITY:
Reinvestment Fund is inviting applications for the 2021 round of the Healthy Food Financing Initiative (HFFI) Targeted Small Grants program. The 2021 HFFI round is offering at least $4 million in grant funds for food retail and food enterprises working to improve access to healthy foods in underserved areas, to create and preserve quality jobs, and to revitalize low-income communities.
Reinvestment Fund will hold a webinar on Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2021, 2 p.m. EDT to confirm details about the application process and answer questions. No registration is required to join — simply click the link: https://bit.ly/HFFIWebinar101321. The webinar will be recorded.
More information, including instructions on how to apply, is available in the Request for Applications (RFA).
Are you looking for money to finance your healthy food access project?
Businesses are typically funded with a combination of equity and debt. Equity can be composed of a business owner’s personal or organizational assets, investments from friends and family, grants, private venture capital, and mission-based equity investors. Foundations along with public sector and financial institutions are increasingly funding healthy food projects, and more opportunities are created each year in response to national, state, and local advocacy campaigns and policy efforts.
Explore the sections below to find examples of targeted healthy food access resources and those that focus on job creation and retention, public health, small business development, or agricultural production.
Healthy Food Financing Initiative:
- Community Economic Development (CED) Funding through the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services’ (HHS)
- Federal Healthy Food Financing Initiative (HFFI) Overview
- Healthy Food Financing Programs Across the Country
Databases & Directories:
- CDFI Fund New Markets Tax Credit Awardees by State
- CDFI Fund Grantees Awards Database
- Community Development Bankers Association Membership Directory
- Foundation Center's Foundation Directory Online
- Economic Development Directory By State
- National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions Membership Directory
- Opportunity Finance Network CDFI Locator
- Small Business Association Top 100 SBA 7(a) lenders
- Federal Reserve System National Information Center - Banking Institutions by State
- Financial Resources Catalogue
- New Markets Tax Credits Program
- Healthy Food Financing Initiative
- CDFI Fund's Information for the General Public: FAQs
- Change Lab Solutions Greens for Greens: Finding Public Money for Healthy Food Retail
- Slow Money Institute
- The Food Trust and Change Lab Solutions, Understanding the Role of Community Development Finance in Improving Access to Healthy Food
- Wallace Center, Financing Food Hubs
- Venturize: Compare Your Loan Options